Saturday, August 1, 2009

New Name and Style (and Some Comments on Simplicity)

So I decided to shake things up a little bit... I've had this blog for over a year now, and this morning decided to edit the page... "a little". Well, that got blown to bits when I clicked "Save Template" on Blogger, thinking it would allow me to download and save my current template. "Save Template" actually means "apply the current template". Suddenly my whole blog's color scheme had changed, and I lost all my adjustments.

I also realized my label cloud was completely broken. That hurt me.

So began the metamorphosis. I started editing the templates and finally found a template I liked, and decided in the process to rename my blog to something a little more creative and descriptive than the previous name: David Morton.

I decided on Coding Light. The idea being that code should be light. There are so many "cool" things out there right now in shiny silver boxes, that it's easy to get stuck in the trap of thinking that the right combination of tools can effectively eliminate the difficulty and complexity in programming. Many tools exist for the sole purpose of flexibility. Bob Martin has astutely observed:

The cost of flexibility is complexity. Every time you put extra stuff into your code to make it more flexible, you are usually adding more complexity. If your guess about the flexibility needs of your software is correct, then you are ahead of the game. You've gained. But if you get it wrong, you've only added complexity that makes it more difficult to change your software. You're obviously not getting the payback.


What does this mean? This means we should stop making such an attempt to create the most flexible, catch-all algorithms and frameworks possible, and instead begin focusing on the problem domain. Instead of trying to discover the wheel, start addressing the problem you're paid to solve, and do it simply, directly and without unneeded abstractions (see: YAGNI). This is what it means to "code light". Keep the weight of your architecture and your algorithms light. Don't over abstract. KISS.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love the new stuff as much as the next guy, but the new stuff has it's place. Our primary goal when learning a new framework or a new technology is not to look for places to use it, but to instead figure out where it should be used, while continuing to default to the simplest solution possible. Sometimes the simplest solution is the new language or framework, and sometimes it's not. It's the role of the adventurous geek to learn how to discern the difference.

That being said, welcome to the "re-branded" blog. I have no plans to stop blogging on some of the algorithms and tricks I've discovered or seen other people use, but I do have plans to start increasing posts about coding standards, simplicity, and other language-agnostic thoughts.

Glad you could drop by.

EDIT: Based on a comment by Ben Scheirman, I've decided, despite my love for the label cloud, to remove it completely, as an action to be taken to demonstrate my new commitment to simplicity, not only in coding, but in the design of the site itself. Turns out nobody really used it anyways, so it was just cluttering things up.