Monday, October 5, 2009

On Blogging

I find my Google Reader queue fills up very quickly, and it's a rare situation in which I'm actually interested in reading most of the blogs I've added there. I find myself repeatedly attracted to the non-technical blogs, such as Seth Godin's blog. In all honesty, the technical blogs bore me after a while. I suppose my thought process goes something like this: "If I don't need to know about something right now, then why am I spending my time reading it?"

I think both are important, but I'm beginning to think that the technical blogs are good material for search engines, while the non-technical ones are the ones I really want to read on a daily basis. I only read the technical ones when I'm trying to figure out the details on exactly how to perform a task, while the non-technical ones really encourage me towards excellence in my craft.

I'm curious to know how many of you would say the majority of the blogs you follow are highly technical, and how many are less technical, but no less relevant, being applicable to more general aspects of your job.